Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Fortune Teller Beads

So, recently I discovered a free PDF for Diane Fitzgerald's awesome Fortune Teller Beads. The PDF contains instructions for a 19mm bead, but after some playing around, I was able to modify the design to work with a 14mm bead and two 20-22mm marbles I've had around for awhile. If you're interested, you can download the instructions here, along with instructions for two other projects.

This is my first go, using transparent lavender and coppery-gold seeds for the netting, and a plastic iridescent 14mm bead for the core. The design allows for room to add bits at either end of the bead, so I stitched a purple glass drop to the bottom and a purple glass bead to the top, with a few more coppery seeds that I aim to turn into the bail for a necklace. I think that since the bead is rather ornate, I'll go clean and simple on the necklace part.

I'm in love with this technique- it's easy, it works up quickly, and at the end you get to gather up all the seeds on each end into a tight circle, and it's really really satisfying to watch them tighten up around the bead when you pull it tight, haha.

Here's my two large beaded marbles- I did the blue one first. I had to modify the design a bit by altering the bead counts in each netting stitch and then adding one seed between each seed at the top and bottom where the netting 'gathers'. I thought the blue one looked a little naked, so I added transparent purple and silver beads in between the 'windows' that the netting creates. I'm not thrilled with the look, but it was fun nonetheless.

The red one I really love :D I used coppery size 8/0 seeds at the intersection points in the netting, and i like the look it gives. I'm imagining a tassle of fringe hanging off the bottom- I'm not good at maintaining the right tension on fringe, so that will be good practice :)

That's all for now. Today I'll leave you with Trinity having a conversation with me. 'Til Next Time! :)




2 comments:

  1. I like your beads...and thanks for the heads-up on the download. BTW....love your Trinity. I lost my beloved Sable (burmese) a few years ago and she used to talk to me constantly. We had great conversations! What a special breed....loving, playful, and of course talkative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've owned eight cats in my lifetime, and Trinity is the first that's been so vocal. i thoroughly enjoy my conversations with her :) she has so many words, and i love learning what each one means. i don't know what breed or breeds she may be, but i suspect she has some sort of Oriental in her- she has a triangular head and large ears- those things paired with her tendency to be vocal makes me think so.

      i'm sure your Sable knew she was treasured and loved. :)

      Delete